The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
The Gender, Youth, and Vulnerable Populations Advisor will work with district health offices, civil society organizations, communities, RHITES Lango personnel, and relevant stakeholders to ensure that the design and implementation of all activities in target districts include a gender equality lens, and engage and empower youth and vulnerable populations to increase health seeking behavior and autonomy in decision making about one’s health. This position will be based in Lira and Luo is required.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist the Technical Director of Community Engagement and Resilience with the leadership, direction and coordination of activities to ensure boys, girls, men, and women and those who are particularly vulnerable, including most at-risk populations like commercial sex workers and vulnerable groups like orphans, have their different health needs analyzed and addressed with respect to the provision and improvement of community health programming.
- Work with the Technical Director of Community Engagement and Resilience and Community SBCC Advisor to identify activities across the project which would benefit from SBCC strategies to facilitate individual acceptance of interventions and improve community mobilization given gender and other sociocultural norms.
- Work with the project team and DHO counterparts to use existing documentation and develop tools to enhance and expand on existing gender, youth, and key population analyses to better understand the context and dynamics at play related to gender, youth, and key populations in Uganda.
- Lead the development and coordination of trainings for project staff, government officials, teachers and parents to raise awareness and provide tools for dialogue and communication and action to improve gender equality, engage youth, and empower vulnerable and key populations.
- Work with community-based and civil society organizations to integrate gender and increase access and engagement of young people and vulnerable and key populations within community level work, and increase health outreach to target these populations. This may include interactive, skill-building workshops for service providers, awareness-raising campaigns and/or other community-level interventions to address the norms and behaviors that underlie gender and other sociocultural norms.
- Work with M&E Team and Technical Director to help develop, maintain, and monitor the indicators set in the work plan related to gender, vulnerable and key populations, and youth.
- Bachelor’s Degree in International Development, Women’s Studies, Education, Public Health, Medicine, Social Sciences (such as Medical Anthropology), Education, or other related field.
- 4+ years of professional experience working on related tasks on projects with national or subnational (district or regional) governments, international or local NGOs, and/or donors (USAID preferred).
- Demonstrated understanding and familiarity with issues related to gender norms and engagement of youth and vulnerable populations as well as evidence-based solutions, especially in the health sector in Uganda.
- Proven abilities to set priorities, to multi-task, and to work collaboratively across technical disciplines. Ability to work both independently as well as part of a large team.
- Superb inter-personal, written and oral communication skills, particularly with new or sensitive topics. Knowledge and experience with participatory planning methodologies that promote learning and social change highly preferred.
- Must be fluent in English & Luo (local dialect).
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.