The Specialist, ICT4D, Skills to Succeed is responsible for quality design and integration of ICT for Development (ICT4D) projects, products and services to advance the goals of the Skills to Succeed (S2S) program and other programs of the Financial Capability and Employment (FCE) business unit of the Department of Hunger and Livelihoods. S/he will also contribute to the ongoing strategy development, work planning, and project management of the S2S program and other youth employment programs in the portfolio. S/he will work closely with the S2S team and other technical staff at Save the Children US, other member offices and country offices. S/he will provide technical assistance and project management support to strengthen staff capacity in the area of ICT4D and to ensure quality project outcomes for deprived youth in country and/or other member offices. S/he will also work closely with fundraising teams to identify new opportunities and submit quality proposals. S/he will help advance Save the Children’s evidence based programming and thought leadership in the youth employment and ICT4D fields by documenting project processes and results, supporting S2S M&E and research activities, contributing to cross-country and cross-program learning, and representing the S2S program and other programs internally and externally.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
Project Design and Project Management (60%)
Innovative ICT Initiatives and Thought Leadership
- Lead S2S ICT4D strategy and program initiatives – working with external consultants and donors, coordinating US-based and international staff to design and implement innovative ICT projects for S2S and FCE programs, and building their capacity to design and continue to manage these projects. These responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage development and maintenance of country-level ICT4D strategy roadmaps. Lead strategy development process and coach in-country teams on best practice in ICT4D. Work closely with project managers in the US and at the country level to recommend best ways forward.
- Act as product manager and project manager for digital product development engagements. Responsible for working with teams to develop overall product vision and roadmap, serve as liaison between developers and other IT technical consultants or partners and non-technical staff at Save the Children and other stakeholders, and ensure quality work planning and reporting.
- Work with country office staff and external consultants to design and execute ICT assessments and develop design/implementation/outreach strategies.
- Identify, hire and manage consultants.
- Support country offices to identify and hire staff to work on ICT4D projects and to build their capacity in ICT4D.
- Network across the 120-country Save the Children movement and industry, identifying and developing strategies to apply latest trends in ICT4D.
- Monitor developments in the field of youth employment and financial services programming.
Project/Country Quality and Management
- Provide technical assistance to program staff at country and member offices, and Save the Children US on program strategy and quality intervention design and implementation for youth employment and financial services in key areas such as digital strategy, market assessments, job linkages strategies, experiential learning such as apprenticeships and internships, and private sector partnerships.
- Monitor progress against work plans and achievement of milestones. Work with Program Director and program staff to identify where technical and management assistance is needed.
- Serve as the relationship manager for at least one country office in the S2S program, providing technical assistance and building capacity to help the country office develop strategies and work plans, build a high performing team knowledgeable about youth employment and financial services, develop partnerships with key stakeholders, and deliver high quality interventions.
Fundraising/Resource Mobilization (20%)
- Lead or support development and review of quality proposals in response to identified opportunities.
- Work closely with country teams to determine priority fundraising needs for ICT4D initiatives.
- Work with S2S Program Director and fundraising teams to identify funding opportunities.
Learning and Thought Leadership (20%)
- Contribute to the S2S Learning Agenda: document the process of designing, implementing, and evaluating ICT4D initiatives and other youth employment components.
- Author toolkits, manuals, and reports for internal and external audiences that contribute to FCE’s thought leadership regarding ICT4D, youth employment and financial services.
- Lead the ICT4D-related S2S learning exchange activities, including Learning Calls, and contribute to ICT4D-related topics for S2S Quarterly Reviews, Annual Learning Meetings and other events, and evaluations and research studies.
- Represent S2S and related programs at internal and external events and make presentations as required.
- Participate in relevant working groups within Save the Children and externally.
- Contribute to development of communications materials and knowledge management for the S2S program.
- 3-5 years of work experience in area of expertise, of which at least 3 years of work experience in ICT4D at an international NGO or similar technology and innovative strategy and implementation role at a global consulting firm or corporation.
- Track record of ICT strategy and product roadmap development.
- Track record of ICT product management, including design and implementation, driving toward creation of successful ICT solutions in developing country contexts.
- Experience managing consultants and liaising between technical developers and non-technical stakeholders.
- Professional level of specialized knowledge and technical/functional skills.
- Proven project management ability to manage multiple complex tasks, programs or projects.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail: ability to juggle large amounts of details while maintaining big picture.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in English and experience making presentations to internal and external audiences.
- Proven ability to work independently and also collaboratively, as part of multi-cultural teams.
- Availability to work early or late to accommodate calls with field teams in Asia.
- Willingness and availability to travel up to 35% of the time to liaise with colleagues and provide country offices with support to start-up and implement projects.
- High School diploma.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in ICT-related field, business or international development.
- Experience in youth, livelihoods and/or youth employment programming.
- Experience living/working in a developing country.
- Foreign language fluency in Spanish, Vietnamese, Bahasa Indonesian or Bengali.
What’s In It for You
- Meaningful work, with a knowledge that you are changing the lives of children all around the world
- A family friendly work environment
- Highly collaborative and innovative teams
- Generous paid vacation days, holidays, family leave days, and sick time
- Healthcare plans including medical, dental, and life insurance
- Retirement savings account with matching company contributions
- Structured and formalized management development and coaching programs for mid and senior level managers
- Extensive e-learning opportunities on a variety of topics offered through our affiliation with several prestigious universities as well as language learning opportunities